Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Melt Your Heart

Today I was in my room getting ready and Brooke was in there with me. She was looking through my Sunday bag and pulling out snacks and stuff. She looked at me and said "Look pretty, Mama. Look pretty, Mama." Then she said "I pretty, too". It was so sweet. (I love the way she says Mama).

It really made me think about an article I read that talked about the way we talk to our children and the impact it has on them. It is so important to talk positively to them so they feel that way about themselves. I remember it gave the example of a mom who always says that her child is shy. That child constantly hears that and over time will fit into the mold that the mom has placed him in.

I really feel like that is true and think it is so important to always be telling her that she is smart and pretty and such a sweetheart. Not that I think my child is perfect or a genius, but she really is all those things. And when she's not being such a good girl I let her know that what she is doing is wrong, but not that she herself is bad.

I just wanted to write about this while it was still fresh on my mind. It was a good lesson in parenting for me.

5 comments:

Jen said...

How sweet! It amazing what our children pick up from us. We always have to remember that they are watching & we need to be the best examples we can be.

The Briscoe Bunch said...

Good lesson! Thanks Jen! Brooke is so cute, tell her we love her and miss her!

Ms. Fish said...

I don't want to discount your idea of telling her she is smart and beautiful, but in my schooling and over the years I have learned something I want to share: that it is important to compliment the behavior and action rather than the person: for example, "I like how you put so much effort into painting that picture" instead of "You are such a good artist." Then if they paint something they don't like or isn't accepted, it won't be seen as them being a failure.

That way the child doesn't learn that he always has to get complimented to be a valuable person. The other thing is that as a parent you should give five positive feedbacks for every negative.

Not that I'm an expert on parenting by any means!

You are doing a great job. Way to go.

Heather said...

She is so cute! What a good mom you are :) I had Josh ask Tyler if you guys had a blog today, because I figured you did. I am glad I found it!

Ashley said...

I love this. I feel the same way, I'm sure she is blessed to have such a wise mommy