Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Update and Thoughts

Just some quick updates as to what is happening at our house. I'm terrible to not have written these before!

Tyler and I celebrated our 3rd Anniversary on the 9th. Yeah!
Brooke turned 18 months old on the 10th. She is 31 3/4" tall and weighs 22 lb. 12 oz. That puts here still in the 75% for height and 25% for weight. She is so big! What happened to our little baby? She seems to do something new every day (as so it has been the past 18 months) but now we are seeing more and more how much she really understands us and how smart she is. Even the doctor said she could tell she was smart the way she was responding to what I was saying. I'll have to post more about her with some pictures.

I have had some thoughts lately about the way things are going in our country. Last night I went to the grocery store and had a very eery feeling when SEVERAL of the shelves were bare in little pockets throughout the store. There were things on my list that I wasn't able to get because they were out of them. This has brought my thoughts back to a workshop I went to that talked about food storage and preparation that really inspired me. There just so happens to be another one coming up and I would encourage anyone who can make it to attend. The details are found on this blog rugettingprepared

Since going to this workshop, my resolve to get my food storage, water, and other preparedness tools in order has been strengthened. A quote by President Kimball keeps coming to mind. He said that there will come a day when we will not be able to buy food, at any price. A while ago someone in sacrament gave a talk and said that experts are now coming out and saying that with the way the price of food keeps rising it is a better investment to get food storage than to put your money into a savings account. I don't mean to seem like a radical or freak anyone out, but we just need to put our efforts into being prepared, just as we have been counseled to do.

On a lighter note, I have an idea that I would like some feedback on. It combines my desire to be able to stay home with Brooke and my love for good deals and coupons. Here's how it would work. I am thinking about starting a service that would help people to save money on groceries and use coupons when they don't have a lot of time, or just don't know how. They way it would work is that you would email me your grocery list for the week and I would tell you where the best deal on each item is. I would also tell you what coupons to use for the items you are buying. That way you could either take the list to WalMart and price match everything, you could go to the 1-2 grocery stores that have the majority of the items on your list on sale. As a member, you would also get access to my blog (a different one than this) which would be updated with deals that come along such as the awesome diaper deal at Walgreen's this week. If you don't know about that, let me know.

I know there are resources out there that are similar this that you could do yourself, but let me tell you that it takes A LOT of time to do all the research and figure it out. My service would be basically to help streamline the process of grocery shopping, all while saving money.

Any thoughts? I'm going back and forth on what I would charge for this, as it would most likely be on a monthly basis. What do you think is fair and reasonable?

Thanks for your feedback!!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Jenny-
Good advice about the food storage. It has given me the push I need to build mine up. I've put it off too long. Thanks for the heads up on diapers at Walgreens. Sadly we don't have one anywhere near!
AMANDA

Anonymous said...

Hey, It's Deena. I finally got a blog...lol.

Lizzie said...

hey Jenny.....it has been forever!!! ha ha

so here is a business idea for you. How bout you put your good deals on a blog-get on a blog roll and then charge people for advertising on your blog??? you can make money that way...if you get enough traffic to your blog

Lyle and Jaime said...

Hey Tyler,
This is Lyle Trone. Remember me from Westwood. It has been a while. Glad to see you are doing well. Take care